In collaboration with Otago University, we have been actively exploring ways to enhance the capabilities of folks working with both public and private sector organizations. Our goal was to empower these practitioners to effectively engage in Data Collaboratives by creating a Governance Framework for Data Collaboratives.
Utilizing insights from a growing body of literature and practitioner expertise, we collaborated with global communities of Data Stewards, and together, identified a comprehensive set of governance principles, models, disciplines, concepts, guidelines, and proven practices within the realm of public-private Data Collaboration.
Key learning from these research and community engagement activities were:
- The Value of Data is not well understood by organizations.
- Upper management/board level prefer to rely on gut feel and experience, rather than data when making important decisions.
- There is increased need for data skills and competencies, with many organizations struggling to effectively manage their data assets.
- Legacy Technology Infrastructures and Capabilities “Not Joined Up” and linked back to goals mission, objectives and KPIs
So, we thought we would do something about this!
Introducing the Data Value Toolkit: A Design-Led Approach
Building upon these findings, we are now in the process of developing the Data Value Toolkit.
This toolkit adopts a design-led framework, aiming to assist organizations and consultants involved in public-private data collaborations in discovering, unlocking, and realizing the full potential value of data.
The Data Value Toolkit will be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 4.0 International license (CC BY-SA 4.0). This open approach supports a vibrant practitioner community, enabling them to assist senior leaders in extracting value from the data they possess and the collaborations they engage in. Key features of the initial design include:
- A comprehensive view of the entire data ecosystem, encompassing both upstream and downstream supply/value chain data.
- Identification of key decision domains within the organization or collaboration.
- Recognition of key stakeholders within each decision domain, understanding their orientation to the Value-of-Data, and capturing essential decision-making narratives.
- Implementation of a data-as-a-product design approach to construct roadmaps for each narrative, where we are working with our partners Boundaryless in Italy to align the Data Value Toolkit with their Platform Design and 3EO Toolkits.
- Integration of continuous data value measurement and benchmarking key performance indicators (KPIs) across the organization or collaboration.
Additionally, we are developing a supporting platform that will continually update and refine the Data Value Toolkit through international benchmarking with practitioners and collaborative research efforts with our academic partners.
Data Value Toolkit: Beta Testing Now Open
We are excited to announce that the beta testing phase of the Data Value Toolkit is underway, where we are offering a limited number of spaces for early adopters to collaborate with us on the co-design and refinement process before the official launch late in Q2 2024.
If you are interested in participating, please reach out to the Data Value Toolkit design team, led by Malcolm Fraser, and register your interest in contributing to this innovative initiative.